Ashprington War Memorial
The Ashprington War Memorial commemorates those from the parish who were lost in the First World War (1914-1918) and the Second World War (1939-1945). It is located at the key junction between Sharpham Drive and Ashprington Hill, close to St David’s Church.
The memorial was originally constructed in memory of those killed or missing in the First World War and was unveiled on 9th October 1921 in a ceremony attended by Captain Sir Lionel Wells, CB., CMG., CBE., R.N. It comprises a granite cross with incised lettering on a circular grassed base supported by stone walling. The memorial has been Grade II Listed since 1993.
The short film below shares information about each of the sixteen servicemen commemorated on the Ashprington War Memorial, of which thirteen were lost in the First World War and three in the Second World War.
The memorial is a particular focal point on Remembrance Sunday, when people gather to remember those who have died in war. A two minute silence is observed, after which in recent years a bugler has played The Last Post from the tower of St David’s Church, which hosts a dedicated Remembrance Day service.
The parish are grateful for the extensive time and efforts of local historian and Ashprington resident Mr Laurence Green in researching the histories of those commemorated on the Ashprington War Memorial. Copies of his 2019 publication Bugles Calling for Them from Sad Shires: The Ashprington Soldiers and Airmen are available by donation in St David’s Church.